What marijuana/cannabis businesses can you start in Vermont?
When the state reopens it's program to applicants, it will have provisions for Medical Marijuana Dispensaries -- these are non-profit entities that may acquire, possess, cultivate, manufacture, transfer, transport, supply, sell, or dispense marijuana, marijuana-infused products, and marijuana-related supplies to registered patients and their caregivers
Currently, the state is not issuing marijuana business licenses. There is no indication of when it will open again for would-be entrepreneurs.
What can I do right now?
To get ahead and be prepared for when the state will start licensing marijuana dispensaries, you should:
- Read through the regulations and determine what business type you'd like to have.
- Get our free starter package to give you a general overview of what to expect when the state will start licensing marijuana businesses.
- You'll need a business plan for licensing and even more so if you'll be seeking financing and investors or partners. See our Marijuana Company Business Plans page for details - choose "Pre-Legalization" under the "State" drop-down menu to get a business plan that provides the most flexibility with the current unknown regulations.
- If you're serious and want to determine what moves you can be making right now to get a leg up on the competition for licenses - get one of our marijuana business consultation packages and let our expert Associates review your situation and instruct on the intelligent moves you could be making now to increase your chances of winning licenses.
How To Open a Dispensary in Vermont
The state allows potential business owners to open a marijuana dispensary in Vermont. Whether this is possible or not will hinge entirely on the city and/or county of choice, as the state allows the local municipalities to ban or place moratoriums on whether to license marijuana retailers for operation or not.
- Setup your Marijuana Business Corporate Structure.
- Create your Marijuana Dispensary Business Plan.
- Determine your potential location(s) and investigate whether licensing is possible in the prospective cities or counties.
Acquire the necessary licenses to operate your retail store and be completely legal and compliant.
- Install the operational infrastructure to be in accordance with all regulations and then open your doors for business.
The latest marijuana industry news, laws, & frequently asked questions for Vermont.