What marijuana/cannabis businesses can you start in Vermont?
On January 22, 2018, Vermont Gov. Phil Scott signed H. 511 into law, making Vermont the first state to make marijuana legal through legislative action — rather than via a ballot initiative.
The new law— which takes effect on July 1 — will make it legal for adults to possess and cultivate limited amounts of marijuana. However, marijuana remains a controlled substance in Vermont and its sale is prohibited.
A governor-appointed task force is making recommendations regarding retail sales and commercial cultivation, and separate legislation will be considered to regulate marijuana like alcohol.
Currently, the state is not issuing marijuana business licenses. There is no indication of when it will open for would-be entrepreneurs.
What can I do right now?
To get ahead and be prepared for when the state will start licensing marijuana dispensaries, you should:
- Read through the regulations and determine what business type you'd like to have.
- Get our free starter package to give you a general overview of what to expect when the state will start licensing marijuana businesses.
- You'll need a business plan for licensing and even more so if you'll be seeking financing and investors or partners. See our Marijuana Company Business Plans page for details - choose "Pre-Legalization" under the "State" drop-down menu to get a business plan that provides the most flexibility with the current unknown regulations.
- If you're serious and want to determine what moves you can be making right now to get a leg up on the competition for licenses - get one of our marijuana business consultation packages and let our expert Associates review your situation and instruct on the intelligent moves you could be making now to increase your chances of winning licenses.
How To Open a Dispensary in Vermont
The state allows potential business owners to open a marijuana dispensary in Vermont. Whether this is possible or not will hinge entirely on the city and/or county of choice, as the state allows the local municipalities to ban or place moratoriums on whether to license marijuana retailers for operation or not.
- Setup your Marijuana Business Corporate Structure.
- Create your Marijuana Dispensary Business Plan.
- Determine your potential location(s) and investigate whether licensing is possible in the prospective cities or counties.
Acquire the necessary licenses to operate your retail store and be completely legal and compliant.
- Install the operational infrastructure to be in accordance with all regulations and then open your doors for business.
The latest marijuana industry news, laws, & frequently asked questions for Vermont.