What marijuana/cannabis businesses can you start in North Dakota?
Under the new regulations, approved by the Governor in April 2017, North Dakota will be open for medical marijuana businesses. The state will allow two (2) cultivation facility licenses and eight (8) dispensaries, all of which will be regulated by the Department of Public Health
Applicants will pay a $5,000 non-refundable application fee and, if they are approved, a $90,000 licensing fee for dispensaries, and $110,000 for cultivation facilities.
Compassion center licenses will be granted based on a merit-based application process, which will consider the suitability of the proposed location; the applicants’ character and expertise in related fields; the proposed centers’ plans, including for record keeping, safety, and security, staffing and training, preventing diversion, and for pesticide-free cultivation; whether the applicant has sufficient capital; and its ability to make medication affordable for all patients.
The North Dakota Department of Health submitted a proposal to release the guidelines mid August. Once approved, they will be open for application mid of August until end of September.
What can I do right now?
To get ahead and be prepared for when the state will start licensing marijuana businesses, you should:
- Read through the regulations to understand more about Compassionate Care Centers.
- Get our free starter package to give you a general overview of what to expect when the state starts licensing marijuana businesses.
- You'll need a business plan for licensing and even more so if you'll be seeking financing and investors or partners. See our Marijuana Company Business Plans page for details - choose "Pre-Legalization" under the "State" drop-down menu to get a business plan that provides the most flexibility with the current unknown regulations.
- Setting up a Non-profit Corporation.
- If you're serious and want to determine what moves you can be making right now to get a leg up on the competition for licenses - get one of our marijuana business consultation packages and let our expert Associates review your situation and instruct on the intelligent moves you could be making now to increase your chances of winning licenses.
How To Open a Compassion Center in North Dakota
The state allows potential business owners to open a compassion center in North Dakota. Whether this is possible or not will hinge entirely on the city and/or county of choice, as the state allows the local municipalities to ban or place moratoriums on whether to license centers for operation or not.
- Setup your Marijuana Business Corporate Structure.
- Create your Dispensary Business Plan.
- Determine your potential location(s) and investigate whether licensing is possible in the prospective cities or counties.
Acquire the necessary licenses to operate your dispensary and be completely legal and compliant.
- Install the operational infrastructure to be in accordance with all regulations and then open your doors for business.
- Contract with cultivators and/or edible/extraction/infused products manufacturers to grow and produce marijuana products for you, if you don't want to do it yourself.
The latest marijuana industry news, laws, & frequently asked questions for North Dakota.