What marijuana/cannabis businesses can you start in Montana?
Under the new regulations SB033, signed by the Governor, as of May 2017, Montana will be open for medical marijuana businesses.
The regulations of this measure have provisions for:
- Medical Marijuana Dispensaries - established by Provider or Marijuana Infused Products Provider (MIPP)
- Medical Marijuana Testing Facilities
Currently, the application period is now open for dispensaries and testing facilities. The state has not set a deadline for when they'll stop accepting applications.
What can you do right now?
To be prepared in submitting a marijuana business license application to the state, you should:
- Read through the regulations and determine what business type you'd like to have.
- If you'll be seeking financing and investors or partners, you'll need a business plan to present to them. See our Medical Marijuana Business Plans page for details and get a business plan to fit your needs.
- Start putting all the pieces together for your applications to the state, city and county officials to start your marijuana business.
How To Open a Medical Marijuana Dispensary in Montana
The state allows potential business owners to open a Medical Marijuana Dispensary in Montana. Whether this is possible or not will hinge entirely on the city and/or county of choice, as the state allows the local municipalities to ban or place moratoriums on whether to license marijuana dispensaries for operation or not.
- Setup your Marijuana Business Corporate Structure.
- Create your Marijuana Dispensary Business Plan.
- Determine your potential location(s) and investigate whether licensing is possible in the prospective cities or counties.
Acquire the necessary licenses to operate your dispensary and be completely legal and compliant.
- Install the operational infrastructure to be in accordance with all regulations and then open your doors for business.
The latest marijuana industry news, laws, & frequently asked questions for Montana.