What marijuana/cannabis businesses can you start in Michigan?
Under the new regulations (HB 4209, HB 4210, HB 4287), signed by Gov. Rick Snyder last September 20, 2016, Michigan will be open for medical marijuana businesses.
The regulations of this measure have provisions for:
- Provisioning Centers (a.k.a. Dispensaries)
- Marijuana cultivators
- Marijuana processors
- Marijuana testing facilities
- Marijuana Transporters
The law requires the Bureau of Medical Marihuana Regulation, housed in the state Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, to make licensing applications available by December 15, 2017.
What can I do right now?
To get ahead and be prepared for when the state will start licensing marijuana businesses, you should:
- Read through the regulations and determine what business type you'd like to have.
- Get our free starter package to give you a general overview of what to expect when the state starts licensing marijuana businesses.
- If you'll be seeking financing and investors or partners, you'll need a business plan to present to them. See our Marijuana Business Plans for Michigan page for details and get a business plan to fit your needs.
- If you're serious and want to determine what moves you can be making right now to get a leg up on the competition for licenses - get one of our marijuana business consultation packages and let our expert Associates review your situation and instruct on the intelligent moves you could be making now to increase your chances of winning licenses.
How To Open a Marijuana Dispensary in Michigan
The state will allow potential business owners to open a medical marijuana dispensary in Michigan. Whether this is possible or not will hinge entirely on the city and/or county of choice, as the state allows the local municipalities to ban or place moratoriums on whether to license dispensaries for operation or not.
- Setup your Marijuana Business Corporate Structure.
- Create your Marijuana Dispensary Business Plan.
- Determine your potential location(s) and investigate whether licensing is possible in the prospective cities or counties.
Acquire the necessary licenses to operate your retail store and be completely legal and compliant.
- Install the operational infrastructure to be in accordance with all regulations and then open your doors for business.
- Contract with cultivators and/or edible/extraction/infused products manufacturers to grow and produce marijuana products for you, if you don't want to do it yourself.
How To Grow/Cultivate Marijuana Legally in Michigan
Same as Marijuana Dispensary steps, the only difference is that you will be contracting with dispensaries, delivery services and/or edible/extraction/infused products manufacturers to grow marijuana for them.
How To Start a Medical Marijuana Delivery Service in Michigan
Same as Marijuana Dispensary steps, the only difference is that you will be contracting with cultivators and/or edible/extraction/infused product manufacturers to grow and produce marijuana products for you, if you don't want to do it yourself.
How To Start a Medical Marijuana Edibles, Marijuana Infused Products or Marijuana Extractions Business In Michigan
Same as Retail Store steps, the only difference is that you will be contracting with dispensaries and delivery services to provide your products to customers as well as contract with cultivators to grow marijuana for you, if you don't want to do it yourself.
The latest marijuana industry news, laws, & frequently asked questions for Michigan.