What marijuana/cannabis businesses can you start in Illinois?
When the state reopens it's program to applicants, it will have provisions for:
- Medical Marijuana Dispensaries
- Medical Marijuana Cultivation Centers
Currently, the state is not issuing marijuana business licenses. There is no indication of when it will open again for would-be entrepreneurs.
What can I do right now?
To get ahead and be prepared for when the state will start licensing marijuana businesses, you should:
- Get our Starter Package to get insider details and steps of everything you need to do right now to get a head start on your business.
How To Open a Dispensary in Illinois
The state allows potential business owners to open a marijuana dispensary in Illinois. Whether this is possible or not will hinge entirely on the city and/or county of choice, as the state allows the local municipalities to ban or place moratoriums on whether to license marijuana retailers for operation or not.
- Setup your Marijuana Business Corporate Structure.
- Create your Marijuana Dispensary Business Plan.
- Determine your potential location(s) and investigate whether licensing is possible in the prospective cities or counties.
Acquire the necessary licenses to operate your retail store and be completely legal and compliant.
- Install the operational infrastructure to be in accordance with all regulations and then open your doors for business.
- Contract with cultivators and/or edible/extraction/infused products manufacturers to grow and produce marijuana products for you, if you don't want to do it yourself.
How To Grow/Cultivate Marijuana Legally in Illinois
Same as Dispensary steps, the only difference is that you will be contracting with dispensaries and/or edible/extraction/infused products manufacturers to grow marijuana for them.
The latest marijuana industry news, laws, & frequently asked questions for Illinois.