What marijuana/cannabis businesses can you start in California?
Under the new regulations, enacted as of November 8, 2016, California will be open for recreational marijuana businesses.
The regulations of this measure have provisions for:
- Retail marijuana stores
- Marijuana product manufacturers
- Marijuana cultivators
- Marijuana testing facilities
- Marijuana Distributors
As of right now, these new regulations give regulators until January 1, 2018 to begin issuing the aforementioned licenses. Currently, the state has not indicated when they will open the application period to would-be entrepreneurs.
What can I do right now?
To get ahead and be prepared for when the state will start licensing marijuana businesses, you should:
- Read through the regulations and determine what business type you'd like to have.
- Get our free starter package to give you a general overview of what to expect when the state starts licensing marijuana businesses.
- If you'll be seeking financing and investors or partners, you'll need a business plan to present to them. See our Marijuana Business Plans for California page for details and get a business plan to fit your needs.
- If you're serious and want to determine what moves you can be making right now to get a leg up on the competition for licenses - get one of our marijuana business consultation packages and let our expert Associates review your situation and instruct on the intelligent moves you could be making now to increase your chances of winning licenses.
How To Open a Marijuana Retail Store in California
The state allows potential business owners to open a marijuana retail stores in California. Whether this is possible or not will hinge entirely on the city and/or county of choice, as the state allows the local municipalities to ban or place moratoriums on whether to license marijuana retailers for operation or not.
- Setup your Marijuana Business Corporate Structure.
- Create your Marijuana Retail Business Plan.
- Determine your potential location(s) and investigate whether licensing is possible in the prospective cities or counties.
Acquire the necessary licenses to operate your retail store and be completely legal and compliant.
- Install the operational infrastructure to be in accordance with all regulations and then open your doors for business.
- Contract with cultivators and/or edible/extraction/infused products manufacturers to grow and produce marijuana products for you, if you don't want to do it yourself.
How To Grow/Cultivate Marijuana Legally in California
Same as Retail Store steps, the only difference is that you will be contracting with dispensaries, delivery services and/or edible/extraction/infused products manufacturers to grow marijuana for them.
How To Start a Marijuana Delivery Service in California
Same as Retail Store steps, the only difference is that you will be contracting with cultivators and/or edible/extraction/infused product manufacturers to grow and produce marijuana products for you, if you don't want to do it yourself.
How To Start a Marijuana Edibles, Marijuana Infused Products or Marijuana Extractions Business In California
Same as Retail Store steps, the only difference is that you will be contracting with dispensaries and delivery services to provide your products to customers as well as contract with cultivators to grow marijuana for you, if you don't want to do it yourself.
The latest marijuana industry news, laws, & frequently asked questions for California.