What marijuana/cannabis businesses can you start in New York?
Under the regulations, enacted as of July 2014, New York opened its doors for medical marijuana dispensaries also known as Registered Organizations.They are responsible for manufacturing and dispensing medical marijuana in New York State.
However, applications for would-be entrepreneurs were closed on June 2015. Currently, the state has 10 registered organizations and has not indicated when they will accept new applications.
What can I do right now?
To get ahead and be prepared for when the state re-opens the program, you should:
- Read through the regulations and determine what business type you'd like to have.
- Get our free starter package to give you a general overview of what to expect when the state starts licensing marijuana businesses.
- If you'll be seeking financing and investors or partners, you'll need a business plan to present to them. See our Marijuana Business Plans page for details and get a business plan to fit your needs.
- If you're serious and want to determine what moves you can be making right now to get a leg up on the competition for licenses - get one of our marijuana business consultation packages and let our expert Associates review your situation and instruct on the intelligent moves you could be making now to increase your chances of winning licenses.
How To Open a Dispensary or Registered Organization in New York
Until the state re-opens their program for licensing, these are the general steps to follow in setting up your dispensary business. Some of these can be taken care of now (business plan and incorporation), which would allow you to get a head-start on the process.
- Setup your Marijuana Business Corporate Structure.
- Create your Marijuana Dispensary Business Plan.
- Determine your potential location(s) and investigate whether licensing is possible in the prospective cities or counties.
Acquire the necessary licenses to operate your dispensary and be completely legal and compliant.
- Install the operational infrastructure to be in accordance with all regulations and then open your doors for business.
The latest marijuana industry news, laws, & frequently asked questions for New York.