What marijuana/cannabis businesses can you start in Pennsylvania?
Under the new regulations, enacted as of April 17, 2016, Pennsylvania will be open for medical marijuana businesses. They will issue licenses to 25 processors/growers, along with 50 dispensaries.
The regulations of this measure have provisions for:
- Marijuana dispensaries
- Marijuana cultivators
- Marijuana product manufacturers
As of right now, these new regulations give regulators until the end of this year to issue temporary regulations. The state has not indicated when they will open the application period to would-be entrepreneurs.
What can I do right now?
To get ahead and be prepared for when the state will start licensing marijuana businesses, you should:
- Read through the regulations and determine what business type you'd like to have.
- Get our free starter package to give you a general overview of what to expect when the state starts licensing marijuana businesses.
- If you'll be seeking financing and investors or partners, you'll need a business plan to present to them. See our Marijuana Business Plans for Pennsylvania page for details and get a business plan to fit your needs.
- If you're serious and want to determine what moves you can be making right now to get a leg up on the competition for licenses - get one of our marijuana business consultation packages and let our expert Associates review your situation and instruct on the intelligent moves you could be making now to increase your chances of winning licenses.
How To Open a Marijuana Dispensary in Pennsylvania
The state allows potential business owners to open a marijuana dispensary in Pennsylvania. Whether this is possible or not will hinge entirely on the city and/or county of choice, as the state allows the local municipalities to ban or place moratoriums on whether to license marijuana retailers for operation or not.
- Setup your Marijuana Business Corporate Structure.
- Create your Marijuana Dispensary Business Plan.
- Determine your potential location(s) and investigate whether licensing is possible in the prospective cities or counties.
Acquire the necessary licenses to operate your dispensary and be completely legal and compliant.
- Install the operational infrastructure to be in accordance with all regulations and then open your doors for business.
- Contract with cultivators and/or edible/extraction/infused products manufacturers to grow and produce marijuana products for you, if you don't want to do it yourself.
How To Grow/Cultivate Marijuana Legally in Pennsylvania
Same as Dispensary steps, the only difference is that you will be contracting with dispensaries, delivery services and/or edible/extraction/infused products manufacturers to grow marijuana for them.
How To Start a Marijuana Edibles, Marijuana Infused Products or Marijuana Extractions Business In Pennsylvania
Same as Dispensary steps, the only difference is that you will be contracting with dispensaries and delivery services to provide your products to customers as well as contract with cultivators to grow marijuana for you.
The latest marijuana industry news, laws, & frequently asked questions for Pennsylvania.