What marijuana/cannabis businesses can you start in Ohio?
Under the new regulations, enacted as of September 8, 2016, Ohio will be open for medical marijuana businesses.
The regulations of this measure have provisions for:
- Cultivation Facilities
- Marijuana Processors
- Marijuana testing facilities
As of right now, the state has not indicated when they will open the application period to would-be entrepreneurs.
The regulations give the state until May 2017 to complete the rules and regulations for marijuana cultivators, including how many cultivation licenses will be available and how people can apply for them.
By September 2017, the Ohio Board of Pharmacy must complete rules and regulations for marijuana dispensaries and develop the process for registering patients in the program. The Ohio State Medical Board must decide how Ohio physicians can obtain a certificate to recommend medical marijuana. The Department of Commerce must finish rules and regulations for marijuana processors and testing labs.
What can I do right now?
To get ahead and be prepared for when the state will start licensing marijuana businesses, you should:
- Read through the regulations and determine what business type you'd like to have.
- Get our free starter package to give you a general overview of what to expect when the state starts licensing marijuana businesses.
- You'll need a business plan for licensing and even more so if you'll be seeking financing and investors or partners. See our Marijuana Company Business Plans page for details - choose "Pre-Legalization" under the "State" drop down menu to get a business plan that provides the most flexibility with the current unknown regulations.
- If you're serious and want to determine what moves you can be making right now to get a leg up on the competition for licenses - get one of our marijuana business consultation packages and let our expert Associates review your situation and instruct on the intelligent moves you could be making now to increase your chances of winning licenses.
How To Open a Dispensary in Ohio
The state allows potential business owners to open a dispensary in Ohio. Whether this is possible or not will hinge entirely on the city and/or county of choice, as the state allows the local municipalities to ban or place moratoriums on whether to license marijuana retailers for operation or not.
- Setup your Marijuana Business Corporate Structure.
- Create your Dispensary Business Plan.
- Determine your potential location(s) and investigate whether licensing is possible in the prospective cities or counties.
Acquire the necessary licenses to operate your dispensary and be completely legal and compliant.
- Install the operational infrastructure to be in accordance with all regulations and then open your doors for business.
- Contract with cultivators and/or edible/extraction/infused products manufacturers to grow and produce marijuana products for you, if you don't want to do it yourself.
How To Grow/Cultivate Marijuana Legally in Ohio
Same as Dispensary steps, the only difference is that you will be contracting with dispensaries, delivery services and/or edible/extraction/infused products manufacturers to grow marijuana for them.
How To Start a Marijuana Edibles, Marijuana Infused Products or Marijuana Extractions Business In Ohio
Same as Dispensary steps, the only difference is that you will be contracting with dispensaries and delivery services to provide your products to patients as well as contract with cultivators to grow marijuana for you, if you don't want to do it yourself.
The latest marijuana industry news, laws, & frequently asked questions for Ohio.